I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Irish Chain - Done

2012-11-26 11.10.41

I finished up my Irish Chain quilt this weekend, and I love it. I chose to machine bind the binding because of reasons. Mostly to do with wanting it finished as soon as possible.

I found the pattern/description for it in one of Missouri Star's Youtube videos.

2012-11-26 12.07.28

It's made up of nine-patches and solid squares in a repeating pattern to create the chaining effect.

I used a jelly roll of Moda fabric, called California Girl and some Kona Cotton in Bone.

The backing is one of my grandmother's old top sheets that I folded over to the front to preserve the lace trim and embroidery she did on it in the 1940s.

2012-11-26 12.07.40

For batting I used two fleece blankets from IKEA (Polarvide). Not the best option but inexpensive and quick and easy to handle.

I brought the quilt with me to work so I had a chance to photograph it in daylight. Hence the boring greyish linoleum floor.

I still haven't washed it but don't expect it to wrinkle up much. The sheet has been washed before and the fleece batting isn't likely to shrink much so any shrinkage will be on the Moda fabric.
I don't mind.

The girls asked me why I made another quilt. "Don't we have enough blankets now, Mummy?"

Silly question!

Besides, they don't mind a multitude of blankets when they want to build their blanket forts. So there!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...